Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Liberace Would Have Loved It!


distressed painting, sconce, vintage trim, layered texture
Liberace would have loved this candle sconce.

Even though he would have had to nail it to the side of his piano.

OR

Worn it around his neck as a lighted pendant.







You have seen the middle of this project.  Read Blue In The Middle here.

Now for the beginning and the end.







Just a gold painted iron candle sconce.











The middle after a heavy coat of blue gloopy paint.

I found this vintage blue and gold sparkly trim in Horror Monster, my beloved and now slightly tamed craft stash.







I have been waiting for the right project for this beauty.









Before adding the trim, I decided the sconce could use a bit more texture.

Mixed up a gold paint.

Made it extra-thick.

Layered it over the blue.




Then mixed a silvery blue close to the first blue and slathered it on.

Like spreading butter.

It dries pretty quick.


I polished it a little with a rough paper towel.








I used double-sided tape to attach the sparkles.










The texture and all the layers of paint are perfect companions for the trim.


















It looks great on my dining room wall, but I do not think I am going to keep it.

That wall has to have something larger to fill the space.

Yes, those are fake LED candles from the dollar store.











One last look, Liberace wanna-be's.

Beautiful sparkles.

Pretty patina.

This sconce has it.


I did love watching Liberace in his costumes perform in my teen years.

Though I would have NEVER admitted that to anyone!

I would have had to turn in my faded, torn bell-bottoms with the peace sign on the behind and my bandanna top.

See y'all!












Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Thrifty Life Thursday #11 at Revisionary Life
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Be Inspired #181 at Common Ground 
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin Joe Every Friday 

Shabbilicious Friday

The DIY Dreamer GREEN wILLOW POND Ivy and ElephantsLavender Garden Cottage

12 comments:

  1. Love this! What a great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe your candelabra is opulent enough for Liberace! It's gorgeous in all it's sparkly gloopiness. I had to watch that video to remind me how crazy that guy was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Yeah, I would like to have seen Liberace wear this around his neck. LOL Cute makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out really pretty Donna. I really need to learn how to make gloopy paint. Maybe you could put some gold gloppy paint on the candles and sprinkle them with glitter for Liberace. Have not seen those candles at Dollar Store but a great idea.
    Thanks for sharing your painting talents.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasrues

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Can not believe the transformation. I would never have thought of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the layers of colour. Sooo beautiful with that gorgeous trim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your candle sconce turned candelabra! Yes, he would have adored the patina and the sparkle...great work!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great Donna! I just love your gloopy paint...:) It transforms so many things. I am itching to get to a couple makeover projects but it will have to wait for spring break. I have so many things on my list that I will never get it all done....but I am going to try!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the layers of paint and beaded trim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very shabby chic Donna. I would love for you to share on my Chic By You Link Party @ http://chicbytab.blogspot.ca/2014/03/chic-by-you-wednesday-link-party-4.html. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never cease to amaze, Donna! This turned out so pretty. :) Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew Gloopy could turn out so fabulous! love the extra sparkles!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!