Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bolder In Blue


distressed painting, washboard, tool caddy, primitives
In the middle of getting all the primitives around here cleaned, painted, and ready for the shop.

I do not paint all of them.

Just the ones I think might benefit with a little paint wash of color.



I mixed some blue craft paint with water (2 to 1).

Dug out the hard-scrubbed washboard and the tool caddy.





The front of the washboard shows how hard someone used it to wash clothes - It is rubbed almost flat.










The backside was just plain - all painted labels if there ever were any are long gone.

I had to dig out soap-crusted lint from around the edges.

This woman actually wore a hole right through her washboard.


Can you imagine what her hands looked like?




After cleaning it, I stood it up on a chair and put different bottles of paint next to it until I decided two things.

One, the details would show better with a paint wash.

Two, I wanted blue.

Surprised?



I did consider turquoise - my usual paint choice - but settled on a blue.






Okay, I know it is barely out of the turquoise range of colors, but it is a softer shade than here.

Slightly.















Next up on the paint bin was the tool caddy.  

It was not really old so I aged it with some hammer dings and scrubbed it with a wire brush.

I love how it has three compartments.




Same color wash, but I went over some parts with two coats.

Used tung oil over each piece and may decide to add some wax later.










I did remember to style the two pieces for the grand finale.

I know why I do not do this with projects very often.

I want to keep them.



Look how perfect for my farm animals.

Think Easter chicks.

Can't you see a little ...

No, wait a minute.  I think I will keep these for my Easter mantel.




I need to paint something in a color I do not like.

Do you do that?

See y'all! 










Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Thrifty Life Thursday #9 at Revisionary Life
Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground
Feahered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage   





GREEN wILLOW POND Lavender Garden Cottage

10 comments:

  1. Ha! ha! You had to keep them! (I would too.) They are lovely and I was thinking how clean that womans clothes must be to scrub so hard. So glad we have washing machines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the washboard and how it gives evidence to its former life. I do wonder what that woman's hands looked like . . . how easy we have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna ... your really know how to paint and stage your finds so that it makes you want to keep them. I agree, those two pieces would really be pretty in an Easter vignette.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE them !
    The same thing happens with me with furniture Donna - I try to figure out and justify having 10 dressers in the house - because I can't bear to part with them - is this how hoarding starts? See you on TLC in a few years - we can be partners - they usually show 2 cases on one show LOL
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wash board is GOOD LOOKING. I have been wanting to paint more we just need some warm weather. I am huddled up in sweaters in the den freezing. xo, olive

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both ways...:)
    Pretty colors....
    here from Brambleberry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you've sure been busy cleaning out that shed Donna! I like the blue you used on these. I'd have a hard time selling them too. Thank you for sharing them, as well as your porch palings and cooler at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Hazards of the biz...unless you do the "one for me, one to sell" method like I enjoy. The problem is, I procrastinate on the photos and etsy listings...
    Are those palings listed on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color! I would keep them too! I have a shelf full of wooden things to paint but I am beyond scared to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!