Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Bust & A Bench


Paint patina, French style, prairie style, pink, small bust, small bench


A bust and a bench - a make-over story with a sad ending.

I wanted something Frenchy and prairie style.  I think the two meld together so well.

I mixed some of my gloopy paint mixture in a soft shade of pink.








No, Miss Frog is NOT a part of this story, but the little bench she is standing on is.

At first I planned for the bench to be for Miss Frog, but her attitude sent her straight to the booth.

She left behind the little stool.









When I found this sweet little face (probably was once one of a pair of bookends), I knew this was perfect for the bench.

With a few alterations of course.

From the haircut, I came to the conclusion this was a boy.

He was covered in the gloopy mix several times.



Layer upon layer.

Pink .

But not too pink.

Barely pink.







The bench was painted over and over with the gloopy paint also.










When applying the layers, I am not really too concerned with the coverage.

Streaks are good.

They add character.









The finished product - a lovely bust on a lovely bench.

A perfect pair.

Love the pink patina.

Love the soft gleam of wax.








Wait, the bench is waxed, but the bust does not seem to be.

Why?


 

Miss Butterfingers (ME!) busted the bust when preparing it for the wax.

See where the arrow is pointing?

A huge chip off the corner.



It fits with a few voids where the plaster crumbled to nothing-ness.

I hope I can fix it.

Because they are the perfect pair.





Still chopping down the wilderness and preparing garden beds.

I am tired and sore.

See y'all!







Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Knick of Time Tuesday #129 - Vintage Inspiration Party 


Shabbilicious FridayThoughts from AliceDwellings-The Heart of Your HomeBy Stephanie LynnA Stroll Thru Life Savvy Southern StyleLavender Garden Cottage

12 comments:

  1. Even I must admit that your head and bench look good together and I'm sorry you chipped it. Keep a watch for those widow makers while you are working out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chip surely adds to the tale of it being an ancient relic. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. True meaning of "chip on his shoulder." And my raised beds are ready for some growing. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you are saying the little boy has a "chip on his shoulder"?

    After I typed this I looked up and saw I wasn't very clever because Linda had used the same idiom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bust and the bench! I love the charm of the wonderful painting job and not to worry the chips add character!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the boy bust even after being broken! I don't know if your're like me, but I can't tell you how many times I've broken things, like right after buying, walking to the car or getting in to the house. Never fails, what's a girl to do, try and mend them, keep in and enjoy them without anyone else knowing they are not prefect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shouldn't the title have been, A Busted Bust? Just kidding...sorry it got chipped! Hopefully you can fix it. I have no doubt you can...Mrs. Talented! Have a wonderful Thursday working in the yard! I hpe to do a little of that this weekend...:)

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the chip, but that will just add character ... just add a little more gloopy paint. BTW ... what's in your gloopy paint? I may need to make some. Really, I think the two pieces look very good together.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sure go well together and the chip will be part of the history of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever used that Loctite epoxy mixture? I repair ceramic lamps with it. Might work on the little boy. But of course you have your methods. He is cute in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Surely the chip can only add character?! I'd leave it! They are a fabulous pinky pair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them both! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!