Friday, March 7, 2014

Fleaing Cola

US #1 Flea Market, Columbia, vintage finds
Last Saturday Chucks and I took off out of Aiken and headed to the big city of Columbia to go to the US #1 Flea Market.  

(Columbia's known as Cola to some.)

To tell the truth we never left West Columbia.



Fifteen minutes to turn into the place and another fifteen minutes to park.  That's thirty minutes to go 100 yards!

Yes, it was packed with shoppers.

I spied across the parking lot a baby bassinet sitting in a truck bed.

I thought surely it had sold, but, no, the guy was just unloading his stuff.




He was very proud the bedding was still in the bassinet.

<Okay>

He said just to take what I wanted, put it in a pile, and he would bargain a price.

Bundling!

I love to bundle!


A sign made from an old crate from The Spiked Apple Pub - now closed.

A slat-seat stool.

The bassinet - can't you see it crammed with flowers?

A tiny bench.

Miss Frog standing on the tiny bench.






Miss Frog appears to have an attitude.

She was fed up with being jostled around in the back of a truck.











A small brown metal ladder.

A woven hamper.

A tall, skinny medieval-looking candle sconce.

Remember back in the 1960's when some people decorated their houses as if Don Quixote lived there?





 A close-up of that sconce.

Heavy metal on faded red velvet - sounds like a rock anthem to me.







At another dealer's table I bought a herd of poodles.

I used restraint and only bought the white ones.

I especially like the bored one yawning in the background.








A trio of vintage stamp collection books.

I just like the way they looked.







Chuck's truck was not full which meant we had to stop on the way home to pick up a few more items.

A French fake chair - no, a fake French chair.

A huge newel post.

A yellow drawer.

A blue suitcase.

A pink and cream crochet throw.

A silver pitcher.

A trowel.




 
Any rhyme or reason to these purchases?

Well, I was thinking of things to enjoy on a  porch 









Which brings us to these two.

The bones of contention between Chucks and me.

Two old crib mattresses.



Dirty.

Wet.

Stinky.


I had to have them.

He said I had better get them out of his truck and into mine as quickly as possible.

I am ending this post on this note.

Come back tomorrow to see whatever happened to these Baby Jane's!

I might be fleeing Aiken for fleaing Cola.

See y'all!






Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

5 comments:

  1. Wow they never have this good stuff when I go. Love the ladder, the poodles, the stool, and so glad you rescued "some poor lady's" afghan. The mattresses? Can't wait to see what you do with those. You're creative so it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don Quixote style! You crack me up! Your pun at the end made me spit out my tea. You are so clever. Loved seeing your finds. I'm excited to finally have a front porch to decorate, so keep these ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you find something interesting in stuff other people want to get rid of. Can't wait to see what you do with those mattresses~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet your are going to be bouncing all over the place with springs from those mattresses. Anxious to see what you do. I know it will be great, whatever you do. The newel is a favorite ... and the silver pitcher. Have fun ... Glad you let Chucks go.
    You would have loved shopping with me this morning ... house and yard was PACKED.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome finds! I am guessing that you arer making a swinging bed for the porch with the mattresses...only because I am dying to have one myself! LOL Can't wait to see! Have a great weekend....Vicky

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!