Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Warm Vignettes For Winter

Vintage vignettes, Winter , decorating, birdsMy living room mantel is important to me during the months of January and February.  

 We spend more time in the living room than the den because the fireplace is there. 

I love to wrap in an old soft quilt with a good book and a dog or cat in front of the fire.

I do not like cold, damp, dark days.

Lucky for me, here in South Carolina we do have those unexpected days of warm sun and shorts in the winter.

A Southern snow is okay.  Here today and gone tomorrow.

Let's start with what a wonderful Santa brought me - cherub heads!

They are gray and silver now.  I may just distress them more.

I love the way they look in front of the stained glass window.



Regular readers know I am eclectic and eccentric in my decorating.

I follow no rules.

I choose to create vignettes from items well-loved.

The bucket arrangements from the last post were placed on either side of the fireplace.

















Besides buckets, burlap, and boot stretchers, I added books and birds.

Oh, and silver bowls.















I wish I had a pair of horse prints or winter scenes to replace the usual florals.

I may have to make some.

If I get up off the sofa any time soon.


















The lights provide interesting shadows on the shelves.

The cage cloche was another gift from Santa.



















I chose a few red and blue books for spots of color among the grays, neutrals, and darks.


















There are two sheep on the mantel - they stay there most of the year.

I just this moment had a thought of what could hang in the alcoves on either side of the fireplace instead of those florals.  


 I will let you know if it works out.











Back to the mantel wall.

Two sweet birds huddle on a stack of books.



















Another bird peers at the titles.

These are book boxes - love them for storage!



















I always think of this pair of birds as Donna and Chucks.

Me singing my heart out and Chucks squenching his eyes closed in horror at the sound!

Santa also brought me Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits so I have been wailing the blues around here.








No not officially on the mantel wall, but close enough.

I love this window and angel.


Okay, the tour is over.

Do I keep everything like this for two whole months?

Nah. I will add something or delete something along the way.

BUT  it will be something interesting to look at while reading a good book with a dog or a cat in front of a fire wrapped in a soft old quilt.

See y'all!











Follow Me on Pinterest

Knick Of Time Tuesday #118 Vintage Inspiration Party</>
Common Ground: Be Inspired #171 

 
We Call It JunkinLavender Garden Cottage

10 comments:

  1. Santa was good to you. Love the wire cloche. Very interesting collection of birds and books ... looking good and interesting on your mantel. Would love to see the whole picture of the fireplace. Looks like you have a lot of room for display. Blessings for the new year.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I particularly love the new gifts as well as the sheep..(big surprise there). But....mostly I loved that you are singing Janis Joplin!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cherub heads are they are precious, the wire cloche is wonderful and you can never go wrong with books.

    I debated on books on the mantel this time, but I am going to be BUSY with a project much of January so I went with something easy.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling those buckets were going to show up on the mantel. I love the additions and of books and birds. What beautiful gifts you received! That cloche is awesome and the cherub heads too. My favorite is the Chucks & Donna birds and the story you told with them....:) Sing loud and proud....I do! Enjoy a book I front of the cozy fire....Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, it is so inspirational and filled with such marvelous items. You definitely know how to put them together in intriguing ways. Thanks for sharing it all with those of us who like to copy your trends. I really like the birds in your displays.
    Hope 2014 is your best year yet! Thanks again.
    We sure could use some of your warmth up in Wisconsin.
    At -4F degrees,
    Nancy Kestin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visual treat. Love the bird cage cloche especially. Happy New Year.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice collection of birds and sheeps! I recently fell in love with sheep and they looked so cozy up on the mantel! Thanks for sharing with us. Just "liked" you on facebook already thought I was a follower? Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your birds, especially Donna and Chucks! Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Donna & Chucks birds made me chuckle. I love all your vignettes, I'm the same way, can't leave anything alone for long, though I don't have your knack I don't think. Thanks so much for joining my History & Home party with this and your boot stretchers posts, the very best to you in 2014 -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!