Monday, February 10, 2014

The Saddest Thrift Tossing

Thrift store, vintage finds, Pyrex
Back in January I received a call from a local thrift shop I frequent asking if I would be interested in going through a pile of things they were fixing to toss into the dumpster.

Sadly, while the store was closed over the weekend, people had piled a mountain of furniture, kitchenware, and junk behind the store.

It had rained three inches during that time.

Things were a sodden mess.

I salvaged what I could handle and called a friend who rescued a few more items.

Then a lady with a trailer came by and took several big items to see if she could repair the damage and bring them back.



 All the thrift store asked was for a small donation (so small I tripled what they asked).  They had a few volunteers to load the items into your vehicle.

The items I rescued:

The display cabinet above - the back too warped from the rain to save, but I have an idea for that.

These tall metal planters - yes, a bit of rust, but a nice shape.



Some #&*+#@ person dumped a 1920's era vanity and wardrobe.

I wanted the drawers and the lady with the trailer wanted the bodies.

So that worked out, but I would have rather the pieces been restored to their former glory.

And they probably could have been had they not been tossed out in the rain.



The drawers are constructed of oak with a veneer.

This was the main drawer of the wardrobe.

Quite pretty.

I cleaned and waxed this one.


However the other drawers had to be stripped of the veneer.

I cleaned them and sent them on to the store.

They do not have overhanging fronts so they make an excellent stack of boxes for displays.



In a large bucket filled with filthy water, dirt, and leaves was a bit of color which revealed itself as Pyrex.

There was no way of dumping the bucket without further damaging other stuff so I bravely stuck my hands in there and started pulling out bowl after bowl.

Those of us attending the thrift tossing, tried to match tops to bottoms.

This is the group I claimed.




 I know nothing about Pyrex except some of you are crazy about it.

I do know it should not look like this.

I do know NOT to put it in the dishwasher.

I do know to save the glass lids even if there is not a matching bowl.

I do know to show you when I get around to cleaning these if they are trash or treasure.



This was the saddest thrift tossing I have ever attended.  

Mainly because most of the items left were vintage or older.

Boxes of swollen books, clothing, and furniture had to be dumped.

Please encourage people to donate when the thrift store is OPEN!  

Do not just dump the stuff outside.

Off my soap box for now.

It is just I hate waste of any kind.

And I know most of you out there find it disheartening as I do about vintage items going to the landfill.
 

See y'all!










Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Knick of Time Tuesday #124 Vintage Inspiration Party
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin' Joe Vintage Party 
Revisionary Life

Thrifty Life Thursday 


A Stroll Thru Life GREEN wILLOW POND We Call It Junkin Savvy Southern Style

21 comments:

  1. Amen! They aren't really donating to anything or anyone if they dump items at a back door when the weather is not good - because they KNOW it will be damaged. They are merely ridding themselves of stuff they dont want. So they shouldn't brag on themselves to others for "donating" when they are really just dumping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to rescue some of the items Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made out like a bandit, great haul. too bad people donated at an off time, what were they thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shame that that happened! That drawer is beautiful, I know you'll do something great with it, Donna. If you need any tips on the Pyrex let me know, but it doesn't look too bad, probably a good soak in hot soapy water is all it needs. Take care - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the saddest thing. I see things dumped all the time outside the Hannah Home trailer in the shopping center. I have also seen people stealing it!!!

    Thanks for visiting. I don't know how I missed you before, but I am not following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you were able to save some items. It is sad that people leave there items out in the rain. What a re they thinking. I saw some stuff sitting out once when it was raining and wanted to rescue it but thought I might get arrested. Have a great week,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna ... glad you rescued some of that stuff. I know you will put it to good use. I like he tall metal planters and the drawer is very nice. I think the Pyrex should clean up nicely.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you were able to rescue some of the pieces and turn around a sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is sad. I'm glad you were able to save some things and it looks like you found some interesting stuff. I'm not suppose to put my pyrex in the dishwasher????

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is truly sad, but I'm glad you could at least reuse some of the pieces. We have a Free recycling pickup in our town once-a-month, and it is so amazing (and sad) to see what people just dump out at the curb. So many things that others could truly use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Gosh. That is dreadful. That one drawer is beautiful. I cannot sell Pyrex for nothing though but I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most of the "Clothing Donation" bin people won't care if you are taking things THEY don't accept---Altho you could call the charity and find out if that is the case. I know in our area it is but we have snow and rain and this alone can ruin many things. At the Sal Army the parking lots of some are now closed when the store is closed---and at least one of them they have a pretty scary looking extra tall guy who prowls around and tells you if you can leave things---I do have to wonder sometimes about the SA tho as we have heard they take donations made for a particular disaster and then they charge the victims for these---and their attitude on gay rights is---um---not friendly.

    I really prefer to donate to our LOCAL places as I know the $$$ stays here. Our small local place donated over $20.000 to a kids summer Lunch Learn n Play program where kids go from 11 to 5 every day all summer---and they also donate to scholarships and fuel needs and if a family has need and after disasters---and I know all of these people!

    To get the crap outta old Pyrex--Bon Ami.

    Bet that dresser was a looker!

    Any drawer with overhanging front can be trimmed to be flush with the edge of the drawer body.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you got some great things there! Pyrex is always lovely! You are one lucky woman! Do you share a shop with Olive?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It always makes me wonder about people when I see goods donated outside of a thrift, such a shame!

    Good luck with that beautiful Pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe what people will throw away! I'm glad you were able to save some pieces. I now you will give them some love and breath life back into them. ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you saved some great things! I LOVE those metal planters - rust and all! Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life Thrift Life Thursday, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a shame it is that people just leave stuff out like that. I'm so glad you were able to rescue some great stuff. Love those metal planters!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, you are so right. what a waste. glad you salvaged what you did and i learned from you to NOT put pyrex in the dishwasher. why is that???

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unbelievable! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features tonight at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over to check out your feature. Here is the link to the showcase. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2014/02/sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty_16.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brings a tear to my eye, good junk gone bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kunjungi web terpercaya kami dan menangkan bonus melimpah !
    online

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!