Monday, September 2, 2013

Hiding Behind the Door - Bookshelves!


My house was built back in 1950.  It has quirky features since the owner tore out the middle of the house in 1960 to rearrange the rooms. One thing I do like is the space behind the doors.

Plenty of hiding space.

And we all know I certainly need hiding space.

Regular readers know I have been fighting Horror Monster, my beloved craft stash, for space for close to a year.

We have come to an agreement - he will stay much smaller and I will have cabinets and shelves to properly store all my supplies.  I have also agreed not to spread stuff all over the house.  

I am having a lot of trouble with that promise.





I bought this bookshelf at the Peachtree 23 Yard Sale event. Read about those finds here! It appears to have been made in the 1950's from the Masonite used and the stain color, but the sides, shelves and feet are mahogany.

I swear it looks like someone cut up a piano to construct this bookshelf!

Well, at least they did not just toss it out.






 I bought a real gallon of real Valspar paint with real dollars.  

It did not cover in one coat.  Yes, I did sand before painting.

However it was very dark wood.

So  I gave it a second coat.







It has two big chunky feet so I added four casters to make it easier to pull out to clean behind.

As if I would do that!










 Here it is in Bermuda Sand.  I did not want white and did not want cream.  This turned out to be the best choice - somewhere in between.  Baby Bear would approve.

I did not seal before I painted and I did not varnish or wax after I finished.  I did not distress it.  I plan to let it distress naturally.

Which in a house with a crazy junker and two cats and two dogs, it doesn't take long.

(Chucks blames all the distress around here on the five of us!)








 Well, I had to add just a little distress so I chose some labels from Karen at The Graphics Fairy with a humorous vibe to them.

Printed them out, cut them out, and put them out - out  on the screens outside to stain with walnut ink.









 Here is the start of placing the labels in the bookshelves.  At first the plan was to Mod Podge them, but then I decided to just use double-sided tape so I could change them easily at a later date.

I know to do this because Danni at Silo Hill Farm (here) changes her projects into something else all the time!

















 I have now partially filled the bookshelves with some of my stash.  It fits mah-velously behind the door leading into the guest room.  If the door is open, you cannot even see it hiding back there.
















 All the items seem happy to have a place to stretch out and breathe.  I have found things I did not know existed.

It is like a treasure hunt.

Below are the labels I used from The Graphics Fairy.  Go on over and grab some.

See y'all!






Follow Me on Pinterest


On Friday nights and all weekend go to Party Junk 203!

Sunday Show Off Party at Twigg Studio! 

The Graphics FairyMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaLavender Garden Cottagevif187Mellywoods MansionFurniture Feature FridaysOne More Time Events

18 comments:

  1. You can never have enough shelves, right?
    I love how you used Graphic Fairy to dress up yours and make them your known :)
    Have a lovely week.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks wonderful the way you did this! great thinking

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Donna- love that you put wheels on the bottom!!!
    And love the graphics !!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,
    You had a great idea with this piece and thanks for sharing it at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have too many bookshelves! I love that it fits so nicely behind the door.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great shelf and the graphics made it even better! Such a good idea to add the casters. I really need to do that when I upgrade the shelving in my craft room some day! I rearrange so much and that would make is oh so easy! Love the supplies you have added so far as well....I would love to come have a look around your house at all your treasures!

    Blessings my friend, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Donna ... love your clever use of that little space. The door to our laundry room has enough space for a little bench where I keep some of my baskets ... of course they are full of whatever. So convenient. You did good on organizing too.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. A girl needs a great space for her craft goodies... great work repainting the bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you know I love good storage ideas and this is a great one! LMBO over the fact that there was probably like 10 whole seconds in between the decision to let it be distressed naturally..and then deciding to put some old looking labels on it! So cool and so you! Double stick tape is the best! Thanks for the shout out and the idea of putting my shelves on wheels! I have on on wheels in my laundry room, but never thought about it anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the makeover - and what a great idea to use double-sided tape so you can change things up. (Also love the wheels!).

    Just wondered - what is walnut ink?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Putting it on castors is brilliant. Glad you at the end of PT. Now you can paint in cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you added the labels! What a nice touch :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Love the wheels and the labels :)
    Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I love the casters! Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very very clever. You can never have enough storage. Isn't Danni the best!!! Stopping by from Mellywood's Mansion. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the castors I want to do some and make them a room divider

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the same problem. They just didn't have as much stuff in the '50's as we do now.
    Nice redo on the bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a sucker for books and bookshelves. Love the idea of casters on the bottom for easy moving. Thank you for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!