Friday, April 6, 2012

CREATING A BIKE RENTAL SIGN WITH A VINTAGE LOOK

The Finished Product...

And now for the Directions

(Sorry I hate waiting for reveals!)

Remember how enamored I was with the vintage photograph of bicyclists and dogs I snagged from The Graphics Fairy?  In the salvage wood bin at the Habitat Restore was a piece of kitchen cabinetry (oak veneer wood product) for $1.  I thought it would be great for a sign and I love creating them.  Why not combine the photo with a sign for bike rental?  First I painted the wood black (two coats - just plain flat latex). Then I sanded it for the proper distressed look I give to most pieces. You see the result to the left.

  Then using a stencil and some free-hand work I painted "BIKES FOR RENT $1/hr.". I used craft acrylic off-white watered down which leaves the lettering worn looking. With no special technique I highlighted the letters with antique gold craft paint.


I printed out the photo using a color setting on regular weight paper.  I cut it out using scissors to give it that crinkled edge look of old photos.  I used Mod Podge Matte to affix the print to the board. My process is to put a thin coat that covers the entire back side.  Quickly center it.  Then cover with a piece of waxed paper and gently smooth by rubbing the waxed paper with a paper towel.  If you rubbed too hard, you will squeeze out all the Mod Podge! I wait at least an hour until it no longer feels damp and cover with a coat of Mod Podge on top. No bubbles!



 I also printed out smaller versions on cardstock and distressed with walnut ink stain.  I had planned to use these as rental tags, but after I finished it looked too busy.  I saved these and might use them later in another project.





The sign needed an extra something so I added some curls in antique gold highlighted in white.
 Here it is so far. I liked it, but something was missing.  Remember that little pink bike I found yesterday?  I thought the wheel would complement it perfectly. So I took the wheel off.  (More complicated since the bolts were rusted over. My husband worked an hour to loosen everything!)


Next I sanded the gunk off and painted it a glossy black.  I used wire and eye hooks to hang the sign and to attach the wheel.  And it only took three days!!!  Just kidding I did not work every minute on it.  It is now ready to display.  Thank you to Karen at The Graphics Fairy for the image.  I hope to link up on Monday to display on her Brag Monday site if I can figure that out!

On a more serious note, I hope everyone has a blessed Good Friday and Easter weekend.  Be safe in your travels.  Remember it's good luck to plant something today!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEipfWdFTcA7OCXNnKxB_gV66Thisie4flcYrSfPEhNiJsumf0TrZwwYvF6yATIN8I-2QdAQFEwxvUlP7wLE9qxDooMA3ev2csRgTOnyleliKefag1Jqa3ouQAzSZ4VlILiuQIN90iCLmX2Y/s1600/bragbuttonfinalsmall.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!