Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Atomic Age Tables


refinishing tables, plant stands, Hammered Rosemary Metallic spray paint
 When I first saw these two tables - handmade - probably plant stands, I immediately thought Atomic Age.

Just something about the shape.

I have had them since last fall thinking about distressing them.

Then inspiration struck.




Hammer them with Rust-Oleum Hammered Rosemary paint.

<I do not get any money from Rust-Oleum - though I would not turn down a gift card or two.>

But I am in love - head over hammered heels with Rosemary.





The columns were made from old pieces of wood with finished birch plywood for the legs and tops.

Just a boring finish - slightly sun damaged.

But look at the feet - missiles, right?

Space ships, right?

1950's, right?







Don't look at my patio - I have not finished cleaning away winter debris.

Yes, the cover is still on the pool, but notice peeking through the ginger lilies - a newly redone shed.  (I will show you later!)

I digress.

This is after the first light coat of the metallic paint.

You can see the distressing in the wood columns.

I did a second coat.







I was so busy arranging them in front of the distressed shutters, I cut their feet right out of the photo.

I am loving them in the metallic green.

10, 8, 6, 7 ...

Okay, I really typed the numbers in that order - I am leaving them that way!







The two tables look quite at home in the ginger lilies and clematis, but they are not staying.

I have no room inside and no covered porch for them to shine.




So they are now in my booth at Riverfront Antique Mall in North Augusta, SC.

(I added that because readers have asked where in the world is the place.)






Another project hammered by Rosemary.

Yes, I have others in mind, but Home Depot (who also does not give me money though I am there a lot - at least on days when I am not in Lowe's!) has RUN OUT of Hammered Rosemary!

I only bought six cans so other people must love it as much as I do.


I do plan to paint furniture this week with regular old paint.

I'll be sure to show you.

See y'all!







Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Knick Of time Tuesday #136 - Vintage Inspiration Party 
Share Your Cup Thursday #102
Thrifty Life Thursday #18 at Revisionary Life 
Melissa's Antiques 
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin Joe Every Friday  



 


The DIY DreamerWe Call It Junkin GREEN wILLOW POND Lavender Garden Cottage Savvy Southern StyleTTF @ Melissa's AntiquesFurniture Feature FridaysNancherrow

13 comments:

  1. Great look Donna. They will make wonderful display stands.Love that paint, but not able to find it here. Must be discontinued as they tell me they will not be getting any.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fabulous! They do look like rockets or missiles. I hope to find something similar for my porch when I'm out garage sale cruising later this summer. Nice job! Hope Lowes gets some more hammered rosemary for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! And yeah, I love the rosemary finish. I do think that NASA countdowns were a little different, however. LOL Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great redo Donna. Mid Century Modern is really hot now. It is too hot to move. But I did go buy plants today so I can dig in the heat. Crazy I know. Shelley is desperately trying to kill my ginger lilies so we built a fence for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those atomic tables look great in the hammered rosemary! Those would make sweet plant stands on any porch. I can just picture them with overflowing pots full of colorful blooms. Hope they get some more paint in for you! I still need to look for some...maybe this weekend! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tables are sooo 50s. Love that finish. I have to get to HD and get some of that HR, if there's any left. Sadly, the closest HD is over an hour away so we only make the trip every once in awhile. But when we go it's pretty much a day trip. I can spend hours in HD quite happily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The do remind me of the 50's space ship movies that were so popular back then. Remember the original "War of the World" cool movie. I bet these were part of the furniture cast in the spaceship. Love how they look, great job, have never used hammered colored paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes they do look like they're about to launch! They're terrific, and much improved with the new paint color you gave them. Thank you for sharing this at my History & Home link party. Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hammered rosemary, huh? I've never heard of this!
    but I do love the tables and think they look very retro! I Mid-Mod enthusiast might just scoop them up and blast off with them!
    found this post at MRL...
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh that's cool! So it give's it a true hammered aluminum finish? Super awesome! And yep totally mid century! You got the BEST paint evah, for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shine they do Donna! Rosemary came to the rescue again. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs.
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up to TTF @ Melissa's Antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A perfect choice! I need to see what hammered metallics I might find for my house...
    Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!