Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Flamingo Candlestick






 I have always thought of flamingos as regal birds.  I love to watch them at the zoo gracefully walking through the water or sleeping with one leg tucked up underneath.

This is my homage to a flamingo.

Though seriously, what would a flamingo do with a candlestick?

Well, it is the thought that counts.























 I bought the base ready-made from the thrift shop.  It had been white-washed.

Of course I wanted more layers of colors.

















First I painted it turquoise.

















 Then I painted it with my goopy mixture.  You can see the other two projects and the recipe for goopy mixture:
Cottage caddy here
Mason jar caddy here .

















 I sanded down the cream color to reveal the turquoise and some bits of the white.

Then sealed with two coats of satin craft varnish.











 

I added a crown of a gelatin mold to its top.

Here the candlestick stands with the tool caddy and the Mason jar caddy.

All were survivors of the goopy mixture!















 Never one to avoid excessive ornamentation, I cut strips of music sheets and dyed them with Distress Stain in three colors.

















 The vintage French flamingo image came from The Graphics Fairy.

Le Flammant with her Oeufs et Nids!

















 Once the dye dried, I secured the music strips around one of the flat parts of the spindle.


















I added a purple button and used turquoise torn cotton ribbon to attach the flamingo tag.

















 The gelatin mold was perfect for a candle.


















And here it is - a candlestick fit for a regal French flamingo even if she has no need for it!

This is the last of three projects using goopy mixture.

I will use it again.  I like the results!



See y'all!




Come party at Party Junk 202!

Follow Me on PinterestThe Graphics FairyMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThe DIY DreamerMellywoods Mansion

12 comments:

  1. Cute flamingo candlestick....the tall, slim shape even reminds me of a flamingo leg! That tag is too cute! You are so creative my friend.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the blue peeking through :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the strips of music sheets a clever idea! It's all so unusual! This should go quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned our really cute Donna. You really know how to "dress" a tall candlestick. Love the card and the music strips which are just the right thing to add interest.

    Fingers must be healing nicely. Hope all is well.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your goopy mixture sure is awesome. Gets the distressed look done very quickly. That candlestick looks fabulous, and I love the tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow your "excess ornamentation" seems to always be perfect to me! Still a huge fan of your tags too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your candlestick and the name "goopy material".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your style. I saw you over at the Inspiration Cafe and just had to jump over and check out your site. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from Inspiration Cafe to say hello! I've been here before I think!! Looking forward to see your junk creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the candle stick Donna - the image was just perfect to add to this!
    People shopping just see a candle stick - I see how much love and work went into it -
    It's PERFECT!!!!!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna,

    I love how you used the jello mold on the top...I have a large collection of them and am always looking for new ideas to use them.

    Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the flamingo would enjoy it just because its pretty :) the jello mould was genius by the way! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!