Monday, July 2, 2012

Windows - Seeing Double!

Let the transformations begin!  I have begun the window makeovers and am very pleased with the way the first one turned out.  The windows will be required to pull double duty for this project.  It will be like buy one, get one free  (BOGO!).

First I cleaned each with ammonia water.  These did not have loose paint and most of the hardware had been removed.

The first one is ready for its treatment.


The first supply needed is Krylon Looking Glass Spray.  It is pricy at Hobby Lobby ($9.95), but use your 40% off coupon.

I did not tape off the wood sections because I planned to paint the area later.  It is up to you.  Decide after you read this.

I applied three light coats with a drying time of one hour between coats.  It was early morning with low humidity.  I attempted this on the next window with high humidity and later in the day.  I will be doing that window again!


I did not want full coverage.  I wanted to have a color show through on the mirror side.  

Oh, I better tell you to spray the BACK of the glass.  The reflective surface will show through on the front of the window.  That is very important because the finish is easily scratched.


Here is the FRONT of the window showing the mirror-like finish.  I say mirror-like so you will not get your hopes up with just how reflective this is.  It has an aged look.  To be honest, I have never applied more than three coats of this stuff so if you continue to add coats you may achieve mirror-ness.  It probably tells that in the directions, but I have not yet read them!




This is the BACK of the window where I sprayed the mirror finish.  I painted over everything on the back with Folk Art Sea Mist craft paint.  I painted three coats.  This serves two purposes:  one, it covers the voids in the mirror finish and two, it protects it from scratches.

So, as long as I had to paint the back, I might as well do something back here!


These are the leftover images from the Graphics Fairy that were used for the flower cones project.

There are six panes in the window, but only three different Palmer's images.

I just mixed them up and Mod Podged them on the panes.  

Wait a minute - I left out a step.  I varnished over the paint three times with satin craft varnish.


Now Mod Podge those images on.  Thin coat on the back.  Carefully place on each pane. Lay a piece of waxed paper over them and gently burnish with a paper towel (or your finger -just do not rub too hard.  You will "starve" the glue by pushing it out from under the image.)

 

I used three coats of Mod Podge over the top  with a long drying time between to give it a chance to dry really well.

How pretty is this?  Now, don't look too closely or you will notice each flower was used twice!






Back to the front of the window.

I was lucky that when I began to sand, the white paint came off easily and revealed a soft yellow.  I left some white and in other areas I went all the way to the wood.

You can see the aged look of the mirror finish with some of the sea mist paint peeking through.








Here is an up close and personal look at the way the mirror turned out.  I left the sides raw wood.










Next I brought out my Howard's Citrus Shield dark oak wax.  I waxed both sides and all around the edges.  Since it was 104 degrees, applying the wax was super-easy.  Getting it to dry enough to buff was almost impossible.  I had to move inside and just hope clumsy me didn't drop dark wax on the rug for me and the dogs to track through the house! (Yeah, I didn't!)









For the final step I screwed two cup hooks to the top edge and attached a wire for hanging.

This is the front side - a distressed yellow window mirror.








This is the back side - a beautiful window decorated with flowers.

All you have to do when you get tired of one side is turn it around.

It is doing double duty!

Yes, I am not fooling you.  This is one window with two decorative sides!




Guess what?  I am planning another one with two sides.  Of course, it will be different.  I am tired of doing multiples of projects.  

On the house cleaning progress - Leia has a place to sit and work on arts and crafts projects.  She also has one-half of a twin bed to sleep on.  (Still working on that!)  Hope my other niece will come for a visit while the house is clean.  (Hint, hint, if you are reading this, O!)  Let me go back to work.

See y'all!


Follow Me on Pinterest  . The Graphics Fairy The DIY Dreamer {Primp}shabby creek cottageShabby Art BoutiqueHomespun HappeningsFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special

16 comments:

  1. Donna, thanks for showing how to do this and your most excellent results. I just love how your distressed mirror came out and that you have a second side that you can switch to when you need a change. Aren't you the clever one! I sure hope that you enjoyed that pool in the background after your project if you were working in 104 degree heat. PS: Tell Chucks I'll be uber careful about the hidden nails and staples, etc. I usually denail the pieces right off. And, I do create lots of cards and tags. I've made hundreds and done many a handmade graduation card as well as others. I switch from one project to another when I get bored with what I've been working on. Thanks for your acknowledgment of my big girl panty moment. I'd flex my arm muscle in a show of agreement, but that's still hardly an impressive gesture with my flabby arms. All my muscle work hasn't seemed to improve on that.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Donna! I have never used that mirror paint, but it looks like a fun thing to mess with! I love the way the window turned out and the double duty part is extra awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go there Donna! Love the dual purpose of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never thought of using the back side of it. Great job!

    Hope you could link this up at my linky party happening every Friday!

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it again! Fantastic!! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again next week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the window! It was well worth the cost of the mirror paint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. muito nda, tenho em minha casa a janela da antiga casa de minha mãe, foi feita em 1950 ou antes desta data. para mim é um orgulho ter comigo;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Donna! That's an excellent project. Would you share this at the Farmgirl Blog Hop?
    http://www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-65.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of doing this. It's great! I have a stash of windows in the barn waiting for just the right project and I think i've found one. Thank you for the great inspiration.
    You always have such wonderful projects, ideas, & makeovers on your blog which just makes visiting that much more fun. I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can check out all the info on my blog. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is a neat idea! My neighbors just got new windows today. Yep, and guess who asked for them :) I got ten! I may have to try this! Thank you so much for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful ideas for your window collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a wonderful transformation

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great jon Donna. Thanks for sharing it at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your windows turned out great! I've never seen that Looking Glass Spray. I'll have to see if I can find some. Thanks for the great idea!
    Tuula :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!