Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dying The Trees

 To continue with the bleached bottle brush trees, the next step is to decide whether to dye them or not.

Here is a group of the larger trees - remember use the cheap trees.

Of these I selected a few to spray with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.  I picked the ones with uneven colors or were too dark.

This group was purchased in a package of twenty-one from Lowe's.







The only trees in Walmart (yes, I went into the Evil Empire!) were sold individually.  These five were dark green and only bleached to this olive color.  I quite liked this color so they were put aside - no dying for these.















The smaller trees were dyed silver, pink, black, electric blue, and peach.

They looked so cute sitting in the aluminum sieve, I almost kept them.

Almost, I said.

I didn't.









A selection of the larger trees. 

Depending on the color, you can use these all year long.  I leave a small group of mine out.

The dying process involves spraying the mist over the trees ideally while holding them by the base.

Very messy!  I do this outside and put them on my drying screens for a couple of hours.

Wear gloves if you care people will wonder why you have blue and pink fingers.  It does not wash off easily.

I hope your bottle brush trees turn out merry and bright.

Up next?  What to do with all these trees.

Speaking of Christmas,  have you been to Life On Willie Mae Lane to sign up for Vicky's ornament exchange? Go to the post here to read the simple rules.  You have until November 8th to sign up.  It sounds like fun.






See y'all!












Follow Me on Pinterest


189th Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo  
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Junkin Joe Friday at The Cottage Market 
Party Junk #212 at Funky Junk Interiors 





Ivy and ElephantsMellywoods Mansion

12 comments:

  1. I love the colors you used Donna. So pretty...:) I have several bottle brush trees I bought on clearance at Wal Mart after Christmas last year. I may have to give this a try. I love the colored ones though....so neat! Thanks for the shout out about the exchange as well! I appreciate it....Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those little trees! I never thought of painting them! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea! The trees look so pretty bleached and in lots of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the trees - will have to go get some for my Christmas Village that I put up every year. Thanks you so much for sharing this. I am a new follower - have a terrific week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deal with the evil clorox and I will buy them from you. I love them. I will be popping them under my cloches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read all your posts about these trees, including last year's. Love this idea! How great to make autumn ones and spring ones. I hope I can find time to do some. Or I'll have to drive all the way over to Aiken to buy yours :) I also read your Arlette post but don't think the comment went through, returned a sad face, anyway loved that too, you're very creative. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trees came out lovely!! I tried a few last year, with varying results. Yours do look so pretty all grouped together. Now I will have to check out Lowe's and buy some more to experiment on! Love the idea of the Glimmer Mist! Thanks for sharing! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. These trees are so bright and colorful, too cute, I love'em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have learned A LOT!!!!! Love love love your trees! They look totally amazing! Hugs...also wanted you to know... I was going to combine Junkin Joe with the Mason Jar Linky Party tomorrow...but decided to post Junkin Joe on it's own...you guys deserve your own post and I don't want you to have to miss a week...so make sure to look for a new JJ tomorrow! : ) hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The evil empire LOL how fun I tried making a tree once but I cut it all lopsided and well chucked it out.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!