Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cotton Picking

cotton fields
 It is definitely fall around here.   The lawn is covered with leaves. The trees are brilliantly colored.  

And there are fields and fields of cotton readying itself for harvest.












Last Sunday was one of those perfect fall days when the red and yellow treetops bump against an azure sky.  

Cool enough for a sweatshirt and jeans.

I found a dirt road to go walking through a cotton field.

Didn't have to drive far some of these fields are in the city limits.







 I will do my best not to talk while you enjoy the cotton.  I know some of you have never seen cotton growing.

At this time of year the plants are dried and the bolls (pods) are bursting forth with the cotton.

Enjoy the photographs.










The fields around us are mostly test fields for different types of cotton.  The plants grow from two feet high to almost four feet high.
















 When the bolls open there are four parts.

















From left to right: a partially opened boll, and unopened boll, and a half-way opened boll.
















Three bolls on a branch.


















Acres and acres of cotton.

Soon to be harvested and ginned.















 A walk is not a walk unless treasures are found.

Like this huge rusty carriage bolt.

Yes, it came home with me.














A rust bucket of an old car proudly displayed.

I think I would really enjoy these folks.













 



A stack of blue pallets that mirror the blue of the sky.

















I know some of you are waiting to see just how many cotton plants I pulled up and brought home and made the perfect fall vignette.

None.

These fields are someone's livelihood.  I would never disturb a field unless I asked.

However, there was one pathetic little plant with one cotton boll on it washed down in the ditch.

I did rescue it.

I am dreaming of a cotton-white winter.

See y'all!











Follow Me on Pinterest

190th Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo  
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin Joe Every Friday 
Party Junk #213 at Funky Junk Interiors  



Lavender Garden CottageIvy and Elephantsvif187Mellywoods Mansion

13 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, Donna! Is that one of you as a young girl? Very nice! My mother was from South Carolina and she never had anything good to say about picking cotton.
    In fact she hated it. I think the plants are beautiful to look at. I'm surprised more aren't used for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having never seen a cotton boll in person :-), I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to make myself a wreath with some of those cotton bolls!!! Do you know that they sell for quite a high price on etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen cotton growing in pictures or in person. I had no idea what it looked like. So lovely! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post. I have never seen a cotton field in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post Donna! I've never seen a cotton field so up close before. Nature is so amazing! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Donna; Wonderful photos as usual. I wish that people would sell cotton bolls, as I would enjoy decorating with some, and making some crafts with them, also. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ilove to see the cotton fields. We have a few around here and they are truly amazing and I love a bouquet of cotton bowls. Great post. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the first time in my life I saw the beautiful fields of cotton, while nearing the end of my long, monotonous drive from NY to NC. This is my first fall where the cotton fields grow and I must admit that it took me a minute to decipher what the fields of white were. What a smile it brought to my face when I realized that it was indeed cotton. It made me feel super young again with a flashback to my, grade school, learning of Eli Whitney's cotton gin!
    I enjoyed seeing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing your pictures of the cotton fields ... I would have rescued that one little cotton plant too. I have some cotton bolls but they have been lying around for a long time and kinda messed up ... but maybe I could do something with them for Christmas.

    Love your post.

    My Mom tells about pickin' cotton with two tiny babies sitting on the cotton sack, dragging them along as she picked. This would have been in the early 20's. She would about been about 19/20 years old. What a life !!!
    Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love this post! I have seen cotton fields after they have been harvested, but have yet to see one before. I did pull my car over one time and pluck one leftover boll from a ditch and thought I'd found gold! One of the things on my bucket list is to see cotton ginned. Can you hook me up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I saw some cotton field when I was young, but it was too early in the season and not as pretty as the ones you show. I think this flower is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could have really used those pictures a few weeks ago, when my youngest was trying to figure out what his shirt was made out of and where it came from. He understands wool, but cotton was an absolute mystery and he wouldn't believe me that it grew in little puffs on plants!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!