Monday, July 6, 2015

Lavender Gray Dresser


Distressing furniture
Have you ever chanced upon a lavender gray when sanding a piece of furniture?

I did!













Remember the Out, Out dresser I hauled home?  (Read here)

This is how she looked - white with green and gray peeking through the peeling paint.








Because the paint was peeling, I had to sand before painting.

But when I saw the patina, I stopped.

I never found the delicious green except in tiny spots - evidently this piece had been stripped in the past.

There was a cream, a brown and a lavender gray.








She is one sturdy piece - most likely 1920's.












Sanded her smooth.

No wax.

No varnish.









The few handles were too bad to use.

They were not original.

She once had knobs, not pulls.








Remember I am not buying anything so I used these pulls from Horror Monster, my beloved stash.

Painted them Heirloom White.













The holes were way too big for the screws.

Trick: Cover the holes inside with painter's tape.  Break up some skewers.  Fill holes with wood glue and skewer pieces.  Wait until it dries. Take a blade and cut off even.

Voila!

New screws fit now.





The top drawer had dividers.















Miss Out, Out turned out so pretty, she sold about three hours after being hauled over to the antique mall.

But, wait a minute, where is this booth so clean and uncluttered?

This cannot be Distressed Donna's Booth W-10!

I'll let you in on the secret soon!

See y'all!













Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA15

SHOP HERE! 







Follow Me on Pinterest

Show And Share No. 269
Vintage Inspiraton Party #196
Shabbilicious Friday 
Feathered Nest Friday 

SAB-featured



Savvy Southern StyleThe Dedicated House The Cottage Market Furniture Feature FridaysSundays Down UnderDwellings-The Heart of Your Home

21 comments:

  1. Miss Out is Miss In, love her dearly !! Had just the spot to put her and you sold her !! Love that sectioned top drawer and the "color's" she ended up perfect. Loved the vignette you displayed on top of her also. Btw, why was that area of your booth so clean ???? Don't keep us in suspense !?!? TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Donna! You have a good eye about not covering up a great piece when you stumble upon it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised she didn't last long - she's a beauty. Can't wait to find out the surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one pretty dresser! Now, don't hold out too long on the surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna, Sometimes, (rarely) we get lucky with a piece and it speaks to us. This one definitely told you what it wanted to be and now some lucky buyer has it in their home.
    Great job!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, what a beautiful piece! And yes, I can believe it sold quickly. What a great tip about filling the holes. Who'd a thunk it!??!! Not me...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna you had me at chippy. What a beautiful re love of this piece. Great job.
    Have a great new week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great makeover Donna. I have not been so luck (yet) to discover a cool old finish like that hiding underneath.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shade of gray is one of my favorite colors. So pretty! You are like a paint archaeologist, which is a hard word to spell when you have not finished your first cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be perfect in my apartment. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She turned out beautifully. Love the patina! Now...did you go and get another booth? Or, did you just get rid of a ton of stuff recently? Do tell...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beauty in lavender gray! Love the transformation! You're painting and shifting everything around or someone bought out your haul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DYING to know your secret! Don't keep us in suspense for too long!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! She turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing the screw holes tip. I'm sure it'll come in handy one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out amazing! Great tip on the screw holes. I have a piece right now that I could probably use that tip on. Your piece has such depth! Thanks for sharing and for the visit at The Dedicated House! Have a happy night! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way that dresser turned out! I am not surprised it sold so quickly! I would have been tempted to buy it myself. The colors were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did good! Love all the different paint colors peeking through! Thanks for sharing at VIParty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! I love how the lavender grey let the white show!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous result! I really loved reading about the transformation of the piece and your neat trick to help make the drawer pulls work with the existing screw holes. Clever!

    Thanks for sharing at the #sundaysdownunder linky party. I've pinned your post.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did with this piece Donna. The patina is amazing and there's no wonder she sold so quickly. I'm delighted to be featuring her at tomorrow's Shabbilicious Friday link party. Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh Donna - you aced this piece - it's perfection !!!
    NOT surpirsed she sold so quickly ( I'd have a hard time letting that one go ! )
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!