Welcome to The Lazy Girl's Guide To Estate Sales.
1. Stay in your nightgown and pj's. No need for any clothes at all if that's the way you roll.
2. Turn on the computer and search for online estate sale auctions within ___ miles of your house. I selected 125 miles because I don't mind dressing for a road trip.
(Lot of harps and table tops.)
3. Do not allow good sense to interfere with your bidding choices. Who knows when you will need vintage German cross-country skis in the middle of South Carolina.
4. Allow yourself the chance to revel in the small details like these metal thingies.
5. Don't let the smallness of the photos the auction company posts deter you. You know there is some redemption in finding not one pair, but two pairs of hickory skis.
6. As you are sitting there in your whatevers, refuse to let something like size get in your way.
Bid, bid, bid.
7. Be prepared to buy a lot with some, um, crazy stuff. (I did like the hats after seeing them in person and maybe the 70's dress, but the suit went straight to trash!)
I bought the crazy to get these gloves!
8. Be on alert for unexpected treasure. The tennis ball cans were thrown in with the skis.
Also unexpected - several small packages neatly wrapped who knows when filled with old furniture screws!
9. While lounging about for fourteen days keeping a close eye on your competitors, examine all photos and descriptions for tell-tale signs of an albatross or two.
You have to take it all with you. You cannot leave anything on the property.
An old desk in a million pieces.
Yes, I did count.
It did not look this large in the photos - I was after the harps and table tops.
10. Draw an outline of the dimensions given in the lot description to make sure, double sure, triple sure, each and every piece you win will fit into your truck.
11. Let women, not men, pack your truck.
12. As you are truly drooling over the chippy painted cabinet, keep in mind you have to get this thing cleaned before the rain comes.
In typical lazy girl style, I have elected to leave it in the truck and clean it there.
Yes, we have been driving around Beverly Hillbilly style with furniture in the back.
13. Because every lazy girl knows to end on a lucky number, be quick to tag and bag the items before you decide one more wicker chair is perfect for your yard.
So that ends The Lazy Girl's Guide To Estate Sales.
How would I rate my first-time experience?
It was a solid ten for me.
And Chucks did not grumble one time. Well, maybe once.
Of course I took over the driving and let him snooze.
A round trip of six hours.
Took three different GPS's to find the barn.
Sorta weird - you are not allowed to do anything but check in and get back in your truck. They load for you.
Will I do it again?
HA! I already have three bids going right now.
In my nightgown!
Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:
Thrifty Things Friday #6 at Melissa's Antiques
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin Joe Every Friday