Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bottled Beauty


 VEILED BETTY - A BEAUTY IN A BOTTLE! 

  Above is a photo of Betty, the bathing beauty, captured in a bottle.  As I browsed through the blog hops last week, I saw a few of these photo-in-a-bottle posts.  I thought it was cute, but against the norm and for no real reason, we do not have family pictures out.  The two nieces and the nephew reside on the fridge, but even those aren't usually up-to-date.  So I did not have any cute pics to bottle.  (Though I may attempt to find a beach trip Chucks and I took one summer when we both looked super-cool at the same time!).


So I decided to bottle a store-bought beauty instead.
I purchased these bathing beauties from the clearance shelf at Tuesday Morning.
A whole pack of 24 sheets (all the same) were only a dollar more than a single double-sided sheet of cardstock at Hobby Lobby!
Loved the vintage suits and the sepia tones.  Some have color tints.
Made by Graphic 45 from the Boardwalk Collection and the sheet is called Bathing Beauties (DUH!)




I chose to use the large photo for the bottle and a couple of different smaller images for the tags.  (You knew there had to be tags!)

Yes, that is an ancient paper guillotine sitting there.  I have two of them.  Used to have three, but gave away my large one.  I still miss it.

A side story:  When I was teaching if we had a student who was squirmy and needed to escape the classroom, we would give him/her a pass to go find the paper stretcher.

As they traveled from teacher to teacher, the student would be sent to the opposite side of the school sure that he/she would be the one to find that elusive paper stretcher.  It was never found (because it does not exist), but the student would return much more relaxed and ready to learn.  To keep the quest going, from time to time each of the teachers would mention that we wished someone would find that paper stretcher!

NEXT>>>


Go to Hobby Lobby (or for some of you, as you walk the aisles of H.B.) and purchase a bottle large enough to contain your photo.  Make sure it will clear the neck of the bottle.

Don't you think Hobby Lobby needs a neat nickname?  Hob Lob, the HB, or something.









Roll the photo or image and insert it in the bottle.  I used a long screwdriver to gently unfurled the photo and turn it to face one side.  This is a four-sided bottle - a round one might be easier, but I wanted a green one.  Plus this is the one on the super-sale shelves.


TWINS!!! YEAH!!!

I cannot tell a lie, I bought two of the bottles.  I am so clumsy, I thought I might drop one while working with it.

They are suitably veiled for the occasion.  I cut four squares of tulle and rubber-banded it around the bottle neck.

A cork would also look good, but mine were too large and i wasn't going to cut them down.









 
I thought this step would be the easiest - just wanted some small shells.  Went to five stores - no shells.  I wanted cheap ones.  Finally the Dollar General manager sent me to Dollar Tree.  Here is a shout-out to that manager for being so nice!

Glued jute to the backs of three small sizes of shells.




Went to visit Karen at the Graphics Fairy to retrieve this dictionary page of different shells.  Printed it out nine to a page on antiqued cardstock.

Cut them out.  Punched a hole.  Stuck on a hole reinforcement.  Threaded them onto the jute with the shells.



Used three strands for each bottle.

Tucked the strands under the rubber band.

Wrapped two yards of jute around the neck to cover the rubber band.

I used, I think, a sheep's shank knot to slip all the ends through and tightened.

(Make a loop with an end sticking out, wrap twine around several times, stick the end through the loop, pull the end to bring the knot under the wrapping.)

Put some glue over the knot to insure it stays!






One Betty peeking at the other's pretty shell adornment!

















The twin beauties in a bottle stand side-by-side looking quite glamorous.



















A side view of their tags and shells


















Twin Betty's, true bathing beauties, both preserved in a bottle.



I thought about if you were bottling your kids, it would be cute to add some beach sand.  Just don't use tulle for a topper!







Enough for the night.  I have been chopping away at the jungle that was our landscaping.  This is the last week around here to cut back azaleas if you want blooms on the top next spring.  I am almost through - just a few in the back to do.  Then I am spending several days doing nothing!

See y'all!












Follow Me on Pinterest  . HookingupwithHoHgiveawaysHomespun Happenings SixSistersStuff.comFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special It's OVerflowing

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are really fun! I love the vintage photos and how well they look in the tall jar. The shells are a great touch! Very cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cute i have done something simular where i made a holiday snap look old using an app on my phone then i printed it and put it in a bottle i was going to post it tomorrow. i am going straight to graphics fairy to find those shell images lol i love them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your bottles turned out, especially with your added adornment on the outside!
    I'm happy to be a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never thought of putting pictures into bottles. A good idea for putting pics of my kid growing up. Thanks for the idea, and popping over to my blog! Hope your nieces have a blast making the t-shirt slippers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love this! It's so cute and easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Donna!!!
    Tell me, do you find this stuff ALL ON YOU HEAD???
    This is such a creative idea!!!!
    They look beautiful!!!
    Yes, please, DO spend some days doing nothing... before winter comes again!
    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative project! I love the old vintage photos, beautiful!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...I love these bathing beauties in a bottle! Those are soooo great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty!!!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really great! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sweet bottles Donna. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute idea! We love the old vintage photos! We appreciate you linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday! It was great having you and we hope you'll be back next week!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I just realized that my Google Reader isn't working properly and I've missed several posts. I'm off to get caught up on your latest projects~

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!