Saturday, April 19, 2014

How I Spent My Spring Break

art, museum, art abandment project
Our niece Olivia came and spent her spring break with Chucks and me.

We had quite a lot of fun.

The first night Olivia went right to work on her art pieces to abandon in public places.

Here she is hard at work.

I am just going to list all the things we were able to cram into one week - so sad it is her last spring break before college.

It is hard to believe she is that old.



Artwork and quote by Olivia.

1. Went to Kroger's and The Fresh Market to load up on grain-free vegan food.  The diet we decided on for the week.  Also hot tea.  She had made me a believer in it.

2.  Found a Free Little Library kiosk in downtown.  I found a book to take and Olivia left several.

3.  Painted and played Group Love and Janis Joplin music very loud.  Added a little JT also.






 Artwork by Olivia

4. Walked several miles with the dogs.

5. Went to the gym for weights.  Olivia has a stress fracture in her foot and cannot run at this time.  She wears a very fashion-forward ortho boot!

6.  Ate at the New Moon.  She had coffee and I had hot apple cinnamon chai.

7.  Went thrifting.  Yes, I bought a carload.




Olivia's prepared artwork for abandonment.

8.  Went to the library twice to make sure we did not run out of books to read.

9.  Went to two bookstores.

10.  Ate and drank more hot tea.

11.  Olivia made herself concoctions of cocoa powder and peanut butter and cinnamon and yogurt.

12.  Ate sardines - she for the first time.  Don't even ask what she paired with the sardines!

13.  Played with the cats.




 Can you guess where her first piece was abandoned?

14.  Traveled to Columbia Museum of Art to see the Effect of the Jazz Age on Japanese culture.

15.  Ate at Good Life Cafe - all grain-free and vegan food.  Delicious!


16.  Made more art pieces to abandon.





Olivia created a journal of a cardboard chocolate wrapper, chalk paint, and paint sample pages.













I was in the middle of restocking my handmade tags so I chose a few to abandon.

I made the bird stamp from foam core.









We left haiku graffiti on the magnetic boards in the children's section of the museum.

Mine




Hers.














We abandoned our journal and journal tags in an old book store.











 



The store is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon.

I will post about it soon.







Yes, I noticed I quit numbering what we accomplished, but sometimes memories pile up and you want to just treasure them. 

I hope Olivia had as much fun as Chucks and I did!

We miss the nightly serenade of violin music as she practiced for her recital.

Next week it is Leia's turn.  We will be celebrating her birthday with one of our now-famous low country crawls.  She is already scouring the area around North Charleston and beyond for treasure places.

See y'all!









Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful you are at creating memories-but I knew that. You can abandon some tags here:}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whhat a wonderful week you had with Olivia! Y'all packed in so many fun outings and activities! You are one special aunt. She will always remember all the fun things you do with her. I have one aunt who is extra special to me...my Aunt Loretta...you've heard me refer to her before. She's my mom's sister and has 8 sons....yes, I said 8 sons! My sister and I were like her daughters...:) I love her dearly...like a second mom. Thanks for sharing your lovely week with us and the art projects. I just love that idea. I might have to do it! Have fun with Leia...:) Can't wait to hear all about it! And...Happy Easter!!!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Sounds like an amazing week of creating art and memories. Can't wait to read about the book store. We go to Cooperstown NY just for the incredible used book store there. Well, John goes for the Baseball Hall of Fame also, but we love the book store. We hope to go back this summer. Fingers crossed. Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful week! That itself is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like such a lovely time! Thrifting, library, and bookstores are my kind of entertainment!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading about your adventures with Olivia. Seems like we were along for the fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun week with Olivia ... times she will remember and cherish and you too.
    Love the idea of abandoned art. Would love to see the reaction of anyone who finds it.
    Can't wait to hear about your week with Leia and see the truck load of stuff you bought.
    Easter Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You've been busy. I love the idea of creating Haikus on boards, I might use it with my pupils. Have a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and creative :) Happy Easter from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!