Monday, September 2, 2013
Hiding Behind the Door - Bookshelves!
My house was built back in 1950. It has quirky features since the owner tore out the middle of the house in 1960 to rearrange the rooms. One thing I do like is the space behind the doors.
Plenty of hiding space.
And we all know I certainly need hiding space.
Regular readers know I have been fighting Horror Monster, my beloved craft stash, for space for close to a year.
We have come to an agreement - he will stay much smaller and I will have cabinets and shelves to properly store all my supplies. I have also agreed not to spread stuff all over the house.
I am having a lot of trouble with that promise.
I bought this bookshelf at the Peachtree 23 Yard Sale event. Read about those finds here! It appears to have been made in the 1950's from the Masonite used and the stain color, but the sides, shelves and feet are mahogany.
I swear it looks like someone cut up a piano to construct this bookshelf!
Well, at least they did not just toss it out.
I bought a real gallon of real Valspar paint with real dollars.
It did not cover in one coat. Yes, I did sand before painting.
However it was very dark wood.
So I gave it a second coat.
It has two big chunky feet so I added four casters to make it easier to pull out to clean behind.
As if I would do that!
Here it is in Bermuda Sand. I did not want white and did not want cream. This turned out to be the best choice - somewhere in between. Baby Bear would approve.
I did not seal before I painted and I did not varnish or wax after I finished. I did not distress it. I plan to let it distress naturally.
Which in a house with a crazy junker and two cats and two dogs, it doesn't take long.
(Chucks blames all the distress around here on the five of us!)
Well, I had to add just a little distress so I chose some labels from Karen at The Graphics Fairy with a humorous vibe to them.
Printed them out, cut them out, and put them out - out on the screens outside to stain with walnut ink.
Here is the start of placing the labels in the bookshelves. At first the plan was to Mod Podge them, but then I decided to just use double-sided tape so I could change them easily at a later date.
I know to do this because Danni at Silo Hill Farm (here) changes her projects into something else all the time!
I have now partially filled the bookshelves with some of my stash. It fits mah-velously behind the door leading into the guest room. If the door is open, you cannot even see it hiding back there.
All the items seem happy to have a place to stretch out and breathe. I have found things I did not know existed.
It is like a treasure hunt.
Below are the labels I used from The Graphics Fairy. Go on over and grab some.
On Friday nights and all weekend go to Party Junk 203!
Sunday Show Off Party at Twigg Studio!