Thursday, August 30, 2012

Priscilla, Plant Princess

 I know I have gone missing this week, but I am still working on the big move over at the Riverfront Antique Mall  In the evenings I have been working on small projects to wind down.  I came home early enough the other day to get some painting done before the mosquitoes ate me alive.  When it rains every day, there is no getting rid of them!

This is Priscilla, plant princess.  My grandmother had one of these.  She called it a violet stand.  She did keep pots of violets on it so that might be why.  For all I know it is not even a plant stand!

This one was handmade of pine stained dark.  You can see the water ring on the top shelf.  There was also some sun-fading.
Plus I just did not like that dark color stain so I took out my trusty can of Rust-Oleum Ivory Silk spray paint and went to work.  In fact, not only did I paint this, but as long as my dryer sheet and Hawaiian Tropic #4 Dark Tanning lotion (my secret weapon for keeping mosquitoes away!) were working, I kept painting.

Two light coats later and Priscilla was done.
 You know I cannot leave a piece alone like this.  Using a coaster, I drew four circles on some pretty scrapbook paper - medium weight.  I used scalloped edge craft scissors to cut the circles out.

Next, of course, MOD PODGE!!!

I have had several emails about wrinkling. (Paper, not me!) I put the Mod Podge only on one side making sure the thin coat covers all.  After I glue it down, I lay a piece of waxed paper over it and smooth it out.
 The picture above shows the circle several minutes later.  Yes, there are wrinkles, but wait.  If it makes you feel better, gently push them down.

This picture shows the same circle a couple of hours later.  No wrinkles.  Why?  The paper does stretch some when it is wet and contracts as it dries. 

Now is the time to place the top coat of Mod Podge.  Allowing for proper drying, I used two coats.

 This particular plant stand did not have the routed out holders for the pots so I think the paper doilies work find.  After I had finished, I wished I had taken a little more time (something I do not have right now) to actually tea stain some white paper doilies and Mod Podge them on under the paper circles.

Well, maybe next time!




I am glad I took the photo above.  I now realize because of the brightness of the white, you cannot see the paper!

Priscilla is off to the mall for the new booth.  I have an update to post about the total mess I have created there. But today I took off to laze around, go to a few thrift shops, watch the Carolina Gamecocks beat Vanderbilt, and write a blog post.  I did not even want to think of the chaos that is awaiting me tomorrow.

You will notice I am being a good little blogger.  I resized my pictures and put watermarks on them so no one will steal my post.  I think that is pretty stinky of someone ruining a community of trusting bloggers like that!  Actually, the words I used were much stronger than that, but this is a family-friendly blog.  I am off to bed.  I am glad to have had this moment of sanity and serenity with you!

See y'all!



Follow Me on Pinterest  . Homespun HappeningsIt's Overflowing Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialI'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog! The DIY Dreamer {Primp}shabby creek cottage

10 comments:

  1. Definitely better in white! Love the mod podge circles too! And yay for your watermarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most grandmothers had plant stands like that. That's very nostalgic! What a wonderful transformation using the scrap book paper and modge podge. Simply lovely, although I would have named her Violet. (smile) ps I like typing out the word instead of using an emoticon, :). I'm old school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I should be thankful for the rain, but I have been eaten alive by mosquitoes this year! What a pretty thing she is now! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way the plant stand turned out! You really breathed new life into that one! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Donna...what a neat plant stand and fantastic new life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny I have this piece sitting outside in my garage. I love it white and will now paint mine white too. Love how you used the scrap paper and added to each shelf. Very pretty! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful transformation Donna. Thanks for sharing it at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH LOVE IT!! Donna, the plant stand is AMAZING!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna,

    I was so surprised to see this. I have the same exact plant stand which I painted white in June. http://sharingshadymont.blogspot.com/2012/06/fun-for-free.html

    You can see it at the link above. I love the paper idea. Might have to give that a try when I get tired of just the white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I like it in white and with the colorful touches.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!