Monday, February 4, 2013

Less Than a Truckload

Chucks thinks I am pushing the limit of my resolve of LESS.  I think I am pushing my limit of leaving precious treasures behind.

It was less than a truckload!

I have been known to completely fill my sorta vintage (1996) Blazer from the floor to the roof,  bring that truck home, and go forth in the pick-up.

I repeat, I brought home less than a truckload.

First, someone had dropped off this huge gold plaster frame at an itsy-bitsy thrift shop.  I am a regular customer, they had no where to put it, I HAD to bring it home!

That gorgeous white table peeking from behind the frame is Arabella.  She is currently living in the back of the Blazer.  I have sanded her down to reveal her wonderful details and have painted her top.  However, in 46F temps, it is hard to get paint to dry.  Arabella does not like being cooped up and is demanding for varnish and wax and a trip to the antique mall.  She claims her beauty cannot be contained.  She is wrong - she is staying in the truck.  I have a point to prove to Chucks.  Nothing in the living room.

You can just see the black iron frame for a shelf unit on top.  I plan to use it to stack luggage at my booth.  I like the rusty black so no need to do anything but wipe it off.



 I found some herringbone tweed and a handful of vintage rick rack.  I love rick rack of every kind.  I just love saying rick rack.

The tiny lavender rick rack pack is my favorite.

Remember I decided I would pick favorites.

The others can just pout.









A handmade, but well-made, pink bench with a darling elephant on it was a steal of a deal.  Alas, I have sanded the elephant off and have plans for a primitive look.

A two-hole punch and a few yards of green ultra suede - I will be honest, I did not need either of these - they just hopped in the cart.

 


The train case I wanted very much - it is in very good condition.








Finally I came across a stack of linen dish towels and place mats.  One of them a calendar from 1968 - the others look as if they were from the same time period.











 

To sum up my weekend hunt.  I did not fill up the truck.  It was LESS than a truckload.  In fact I might have been able to put it all but Arabella in the front seat.  All of it except Arabella are in the house, but artfully arranged.  I have made their tags and soon they will go to the booth.  I have to go.  Arabella is screaming to be finished.

Rick rack - I just had to say it one more time.

See y'all!


Follow Me on Pinterest  . Vintage On A DimePhotobucketbuttonvif187Ivy and ElephantsPhotobucketcraftionaryHomespun HappeningsFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialIt's Overflowing

16 comments:

  1. Oh, my, I laugh! Arabella...just the name tells me she will be demanding. I do believe you will keep her in line though. How did you score such incredible towels? The faucet and dishes one is my favorite. You certainly didn't need a truck full with all these personalities to keep in line. Of course, with rick rack that's impossible to do anyway.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that frame and the table is a beauty . . . of course you had to bring it home. You will give it new life and I can not wait to see what you do with it :)

    I love fine point Sharpies for my drawings and then Tombow and Tim Holtz Distress markers to color in. Tombow in my opinion have better size tips, but Tim Holtz markers come in amazing colors :) I even sometimes use crayon brand . . . they come in two sizes and they will save you a lot of money :)
    Have fun and thanks for the sweet visit.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you found some great treasures there. I know the feeling of wanting to bring everything home. But I've had to stop. My husband is getting pushed out of the barn and is not happy about it. Soon I will be going through and refinishing or somehow revamping and purging (when the weather warms up)!

    I love the huge mirror frame, and the idea of putting suitcases on the iron frame is ingenious!

    Have a lovely week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny post Donna. Love all your treasures, especially the linens. I am sure Arabella will live up to her name and keep you in line. I bet she will turn out beautiful. Have fun with your finds.
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great finds Donna. Absolutely love Arabella, and the vintage linens. I don't think it's your fault if things jump in your cart. The pink rick rack is my favourite (maybe that'll make it feel a little better).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every piece needed to come home with you, don't let anyone tell you the contrary. Those gems deserve to be in your skilled hands...it's only just. Love it all! Thanks so much for your visit and kind words.
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, oh, oh! I have some very old rick-rack still in the package! AND....I'm going to a thrift store tomorrow! You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had to laugh about storing the table in the Blazer. Sometimes when there is too much furniture in the garage, we store something in our 1971 Suburban temporarily. I'm always on the lookout for wool fabric - love the herringbone!! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your stuff!! and that table is divine. I'd name her too if she were mine :)

    Have a great night!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you stopped by my blog & left a comment because I got to see all the wonderful treasures you found. I look forward to following your blog!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. The table and the frame are wonderful. It sounds like you showed great constraint in your purchases. This isn't always easy, when certain things just seem to be calling our name ;)
    Fondest Regards,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picks! Sometimes we have to make the hard choices, but I think you have a fine eye for such. The frame and table are just my style. Thanks so much for your sweet visit.
    I am proudly following you!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you made me laugh!!! RICK RACK...I, too have a stash of RICK RACK...every color, every width...(capital letters is my way of saying it out loud when I'm in a library where it is supposed to be QUIET!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are not losing many a nights of sleep because of all the treasures you are leaving behind! :) can't wait to see your primitive bench and Arabella. Thanks for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visting from Junkin Joe - the tea towels look to be in great shape - often, they are so faded - nice!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!