Hare today, bench tomorrow, elephant yesterday. That was my work schedule for Thursday and Friday. I bought a pink bench with a cute elephant on it when out treasure hunting. (Read here.) I actually bought three pieces of furniture which were in pretty good shape - i.e. they did not need painting. I would need to clean and sand them Maybe add a little dark wax to them. But that would be all.
That is until Suzan posted about several sites that make her blog so wonderful. Now most of you know I am a Pic Monkey Junkie and proud of it, but Suzan suggested taking out iPiccy for a spin. She also mentioned making your images (in my case they are offered by Karen at The Graphics Fairy!) into giant posters over at Block. Now if Suzan suggests it, I will usually try it. Usually. There are some boundaries after all. Read about the nifty sites Suzan uses here at Simply Vintageous!
So I did.
So I spent several hours playing with graphics.
So no laundry was done.
So I went a little crazy and created a poster for all three pieces of furniture!
So I had at least tripled my work getting these pieces ready for the booth.
So I really did not care. It was a fun afternoon! Thanks, Suzan!
Loved the bench, but the elephant had to go. I sanded him off with a heavy duty grit paper. If I had stuck to the original plan, I would have added a glaze and then waxed it. I would have been done in under an hour - and that's counting drying time.
I did not want to repeat myself. I took it over to iPiccy and changed the color to a pinkish brown, gave it a frame, and changed its name to HARE in a fancy font.
Next I took the image over to Block. I had to figure this site out, but I finally did. The poster printed out on four sheets of paper. I cut them out - straight edges where they met and deckle edges on the outside.
Remember the old adage about measuring twice? Well, I measured and remeasured several times before printing the poster. Thought I had it right, but didn't. No worries. I just trimmed each side so the poster would fit on the bench top.
Using my Mod Podge, I carefully glued down the image - very carefully - you have to match the seam lines. If you are a beginner Mod Podger, I would practice first.
I let it dry before giving it a couple of coats of Mod Podge and two coats of satin varnish. (Make sure the piece is completely dry between coats)
I also put a white glaze over it to tone it down, I waxed with Howard's dark oak.
(It is sitting on a teaser piece. I need to finish it, and then I will reveal.)
It is an elegant hare now, not a dumb pink elephant of a bench.
Willie Wonka wore out before all the Mod Podging and waxing were over. I think it was the drying time that got him.
Sweet dreams, wild boy!
I am trying to stop myself, but I have an image in mind for that blue-green dresser from several weeks ago. I may have to head over to iPiccy or Pic Monkey and then off to Block! (I wanted to say off to Mood like on Project Runway, but that would not make sense!)
Stop me, please!