Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Candy Canes


Candy canes, chenille stem, Christmas craft
Candy canes, yes, candy canes!

I promise I plan to celebrate Thanksgiving while making and selling Christmas items.








I am lucky - my brother handles Turkey Day and I handle Christmas.

It is a divide and conquer type of thing.





Start with striped chenille stems.




















Soak them in old coffee and a little walnut ink.

Since they are synthetic, they do not dye well.

Next time I plan to just spray the ink directly on them for a more distressed look.








When I am dying, I always have some torn cotton pieces to throw in to soak up any extra color left in the water.











I twisted three chenille stems together to make a thicker candy cane.

Believe it or not, the hardest thing is getting the shape of the cane correct.

Used a green garland stem to tie three canes together, added a jingle bell, and a Old World Santa tag.

How to create Old World Santa tags HERE! 








All while watching a movie.

I use a small box top as a work box.

I can put all the supplies needed for a project in a box - easy to sit and work.

AND the boxes are stackable!  And FREE!

Candy canes available at Riverfront Antique Mall in Booth W-10.


See y'all










Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA15

SHOP HERE! 







Follow Me on Pinterest

Vintage Inspiration Party #213
Shabbilicious Friday

Vintage Charm #5



Join Me for Share Your Cup  

20 comments:

  1. I love this! I've never seen the striped chenille stems. Maybe because I didn't know they made them so I never looked. When I saw the picture, I just knew they were vintage since you're the queen of finding all things old and awesome! I'm going to look for some today. Thanks for an awesome idea. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like a super fun and easy craft. Definitely one that this not so crafty girl can handle!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your candy canes and those adorable Santa tags. I bet they fly out of your booth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen those chenille stems either. Sure like what you did. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working hard I see! Lots to do for your Christmas sales. Nice that you can just go to Turkey day and then host Christmas!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are too cute! ! I've never seen the chenille stems. ..if course, I've never looked. ..lol. Where do you get them? I like the way you multi-task!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always use candy canes for Christmas decorations ... Your canes and tags will look so pretty on gifts. Pretty clever Donna.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is your booth the happiest place on earth?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I always twist together some candy canes but I've never soaked them before and I love prim things. I should try this! Thanks for the instructions! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute Donna! I've been waiting to see some of your Christmas goodies! Love the vintage tags on them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, I love these and love the vintage tags you made too!
    I love using pipe cleaners to make different things for gift toppers, but have never used the red and white multi color ones before. Love these. I so wish I lived close to your booth...or maybe it is a good thing that I don't! ;)
    Have a wonderful weekend!!
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet. Pinned to Christmas Board. Best wishes. Linda @Crafts a la mode
    Visiting from Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I have chenille stems, but don't think striped. Got lots of little jingles. Love your old world Santa as well Donna! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. You such beautiful work Donna! I love them!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute and clever idea. No calories and they'll last forever. Thanks, Donna, for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love your vintage-y crafts, Donna, and this one's a real winner. I think I mentioned that I posted it on Facebook. Thanks for sharing it at Vintage Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are adorable Donna. I had to feature them on my Sunday Features at Shabby Art Boutique. Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!