Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Raven and His Pumpkins

I am finally ready to start on Fall stuff.  Danni Baird over at Silo Hill Farm has already completed a ton of projects.  She even has added a countdown to Autumn clock to her blog! Just go over and check them out.  Here are just three of them:

Pallet Shelf 
Fall Wreath 
Autumn Centerpiece

I started with two baskets:  a gold round hefty one and this double sided handmade basket.  Remember the day I was using up all the black spray paint?  I included these.


 I lightly sprayed the larger one so some of the gold would show through, but sprayed the heck out of the other - someone had painted some tacky flowers on it and I wanted them completely covered.  I put the small one aside for later.
Everywhere I go in blogland, people talk about the deals at the dollar store.  So I finally fought the traffic to get to ours.  I found several items that are more expensive at other places (I am so sorry Hobby Lobby - I did not visit you last week!).

I love it when you are shopping at the dollar store and someone asks how much an item is.  All the customers and the clerks shout ONE DOLLAR!

I bought these pumpkins and some other Halloween-y stuff.  You have to be careful - those dollars add up quickly!

 I painted all the pumpkins Rust-Oleum Ivory Silk. They were the foam kind - you can do whatever you want to them - they don't seem to mind.

I attached a raven to the handle.  So cute.  And I especially loved that the raven and the pumpkins and the basket were of proper scale for each other!  That I assure you was a happy accident.

Look just behind the basket.  That is my sweet autumn clematis blooming.  I will have to get some photos.  It is in huge drifts of white all over the yard!



The raven looked lonely like he needed a little tag.  So I made him one from a walnut ink stained shipping tag stamped with "Quote the Raven Nevermore" (of course!).
Here he sits in my living room (which is almost beyond redemption) - a raven and his pumpkins!  I love how the afternoon light highlights the pumpkins!  Sometimes your pumpkins just need to be highlighted!

I am almost through with setting up my booths.  I wish to apologize to those I usually visit on a regular basis for not coming by to read your posts.  I have a day planned for just me and my computer to catch up with everyone.  You just better have great projects for me to enjoy!

See y'all!



Follow Me on Pinterest  . It's OverflowingFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialI'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog! The DIY Dreamer {Primp}shabby creek cottageHomespun HappeningsPoofy CheeksPhotobucket

26 comments:

  1. Oh...my...goodness!! I love this! (You knew I would!) Love the baskets and can't wait to see what you do with that funky double one! The Raven is a must at Halloween for me (both the bird and the story) and of course you made a tag...you make the best tags! Way to go...I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and where in the world are my manners? Thank you so much for the shout-out!! (Sorry, I just got so excited at first!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ravens and have a few of my own I like to decorate with. I like your idea of the tag with the basket and bird...it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little pumpkins turned out SO cute! Love them!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that idea! I'm off to find me a raven.

    Buffie
    http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Looks good together. I noticed the plant stand in previous post and realized I have one just like it. Break out the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic, I think I might do it for my hallway! I already have the raven. I would love for you to share this on Super Sweet Sunday @ swtboutique.blogspot.com
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant idea to paint your pumpkins so they match. The raven is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Donna!!! I would never think of painting the baskets black and the pumpkins white!
    I have to get more creative, LOL!
    I also LOVE that you follow the seasons! I went to Winners yesterday and thought of you: they already had their Fall and Halloween stuff out!
    Thank you for sharing your wisdom, I will do that, too!
    Right now I need to start getting ready for a Christmas Vintage Fair, in November. So I m already deciding the colors I am going to use in my booth.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edgar Allan Poe would be so proud! I love your project. White pumpkins are my favorite and I love the raven! My oldest and I were looking at those at the Dollar Store last week.

    Have a great day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two things I love for Halloween. White pumpkins and Ravens!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, and so super cute. I've so got to do some white pumpkins, I love how they look. the white pumpkins with the black raven is cool! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you manage to transform the mundane with just a coat of paint and a tag. So awesome. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute idea! I like the new look :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the white pumpkins! My fav. I am following you now and hope you'll join me:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dark basket with white pumpkins! Looks great together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really a neat idea. MInd if I copy it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hard to believe that is spray paint, looks so real! The crow makes it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the raven next to thoses white pumpkins, and of course the tag just completes him! :) Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Raven + white pumpkins = fabulous! How did I miss this post earlier?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  21. The black and white is very effective!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute! I love the black and white! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!