Have you ever had an idea about a project and felt sure you could accomplish it? Then when you achieved the almost perfect effect you were going for, you just had to go one step further which proved to be too far.
This is a tale of two jugs. I wanted to make them appear to be mercury glass. I was going to be patient. I would be successful.
First, we don't drink wine, but the lady in the booth next to mine said these were wine jugs - one clear and one pale green. They were perfect for what I wanted to do. Plus she had scrupulously cleaned them inside and out.
The jugs had black screw top caps which I decided to use.
Using the Krylon Looking Glass spray paint, I laid them sideways up on the trash carts at about chin level. (Which for me is about four foot!) You do need to see inside the jug or bottle while trying this. Next time I will be using something smaller. I put the nozzle inside the neck of the jug and began to spray. I now realize I should have been wearing gloves and a mask - there is a lot of blow-back.
I rotated the jug as I sprayed. Paint collected inside in a puddle. I took that to mean stop spraying and did. I spent the next ten minutes gently turning the jug around (staying horizontal) until the sides were coated. Then I sprayed the inside of the second jug following the same steps.
At that time I went from one jug to the other rotating and coating the inside. I also gave a light coat of spray on the outside.
THAT, folks, proved to be the one step too far. I forgot I was using looking glass spray. You should only spray on the BACK of the glass not the FRONT! How dumb could I be? Just wait.
As you can see from the photo above the effect after drying was close to what I wanted. My neighbor actually thought they were mercury glass. (Of course she was watching from across the street!)
Well, looking glass spray as I found out is easily scratched or rubbed off. I took them back outside and sprayed with varnish. I meant to use gloss, but my niece Leia was frosting the back of her window and I picked up the matte finish spray by mistake.
THAT, folks, proved to be the second step too far!
As seen in the picture the sheen was gone and they were cloudy looking with voids. In other words they were definitely as DISTRESSED as was I.
I printed out some of those Palmer's advertising images from The Graphics Fairy to use as labels. Though if you bought perfume in this size jug, you probably should just take more baths!
Flower images on the front and print ad label on the back.
These were looking pretty decent so I put on another layer of matte spray varnish followed by a third.
In for a pence, in for a pound.
There was no going back!
So-o-o-o - I waxed them with Howard's Citrus Shield in dark oak. You can see in the photo the before and after. Wait, I just realized I have them in the wrong order. You see the after and the before!
I gathered together some adornments to hang from the jugs now that I was beginning to like them again.
A label from The Graphics Fairy stamped with a "2" (the back is green adhesive cardstock stamped with script and a crown), a broken "pearl" necklace, skeleton keys, rhinestone and pearl flower stems, and silver wire.
I assembled the parts for a pleasing jewelry effect and attached it around the cap which I had glued on the jug.
Okay, this actually looks rather fancy.
I just had to go one more step.
I wrapped ivory tulle around the black cap and tied a small bow.
Here the two of them sit in silvery splendor. You can see the front and the back. The jugs really don't appear to be mercury glass any more, but I now know when to stop and go no further for the next project.
I know some of you have made the mistake of going one step too far when working on something. All of us have had to remove a finish or sand or repaint from time to time. BUT sometimes if you just keep going, the end result will be pleasing.
Remember, don't judge your jugs by their jewelry!